Thinking of starting a chapter?
- Starting a student chapter can be a rewarding way to make the most of your NSBP membership. There is a minimum of 5 student members required to start an NSBP Student Chapter at your university. All students must also be active members of NSBP. If you feel there is sufficient support, you should then choose an advisor. This is typically a physics faculty member who is a member of NSBP, supports your project and can help guide your chapter as it builds momentum. Please note that the faculty advisor should also be an active member of NSBP. For more information on advisor and student membership rates and how to sign up, please visit https://nsbp.org .
- Once your NSBP Student Chapter is established and all the necessary requirements are met, begin operating as a Chapter: (Hold regular meetings and organize chapter activities). These can range from community service to social gatherings or from colloquium speakers to facility tours - or any program that would be a benefit to your members. New student chapters will be announced annually at the NSBP Conference. Your chapter members are encouraged to attend.
- Note: A university is not allowed to have more than one NSBP Student Chapter; it is recommended that you check the directory before beginning the application process.
Benefits of Student Chapters
§ Develop project management and program planning skills
§ Hold networking and educational events with professionals
§ Partner with SPS Student Chapters
§ Host fun social events with fellow physics students
Requirements for Starting an NSBP Student Chapter
For this to take place, please submit the following 3 requirements:
(1) Completed petition for a chapter formation (See Petition Application)
(2) Review the NSBP Student Chapter By-Laws template and confirm compliance the University’s policies. Submit all governing document for the student chapter. Utilize the NSBP Student Chapter Constitution & By-Laws template. Chapters are permitted to make additions to articles and sections, however, all amendments should align with the NSBP Constitution and NSBP By-Laws.
(3) Word or PDF document listing the current NSBP student members (at least 5 are required) and a current NSBP postdoctoral or professional member as an advisor. All members should go online to register as a NSBP member prior to submitting documentation.
Your chapter will be required to identify NSBP chapter president, vice-president, treasurer and secretary on the petition form. Your chapter may establish additional officer roles, such as Outreach Officer or Professional Development Officer. Postdoctoral NSBP members may fill one of these roles but cannot serve as both the chapter advisor and as an additional officer . All additional positions added to your chapter must be filled by active NSBP members. In addition, please include your chapter advisor (no letter of support required). Last, please select to use your own group e-mail, as we will provide NSBP domain chapter e-mails at a later date.
Managing your chapter
- All student chapters must adhere to the NSBP Consitition and By-laws in addition to the Chapter Constitition and Bylaw and University Policies at your host insitition.
- Each student chapter must submit an annual report to remain in "Good Standing" as a chapter. Please see Annual Report Template.
- Stay active and involved! See NSBP Student Chapter Sample Activities for more ideas on how to get and keep your chapter active!
Student Chapter Documents
- NSBP Petition for Student Chapter Formation
- NSBP Student Chapter Constitution & By-laws Template
- NSBP Student Chapter Sample Annual Report
- NSBP Student Chapter Sample Activities